Tuesday 8 July 2014

The black cat (Dangerous fury)

"The fury of a demon instantly possessed me. I know myself no longer. my original soul seemed, at once to take its flight from my body; and a more than fiendish malevolence, gin-nurtured, thrilled every fibre of my frame”- the black cat. page 13



This is truly one of Edgar Allan Poe’s darkest quotes and one of my favourites in the story. This quote most evidently reveals character; it reveals how the narrator when provoked becomes a totally different entity on his own, not in control of his actions. The narrator explains that after his cat Pluto bit him on the hand, the furry of a demon possessed him and he was no longer in control of his body, like he was a completely different person all together. This quote also develops the plot by making us know how the narrator might react when he is enraged, gives insight on the his personality and hints on what is to come. Finally this quote develops the gothic genre because it shows that the narrator is unreliable and ,at times unable to control himself. Also because it shows some of the narrators deep dark and secret attributes that are unknown, even by those most near to him, like his wife for example. 



No comments:

Post a Comment